Access to Care - Uninsured
Since 2001, partners in the Allegany Community Access Program have assisted over 15,000 individuals. If you need help, please contact one of the resources listed. Please note that participation in these programs and services will require that you share information on your income, family size, etc. If you are unsure of who to call, contact the Allegany CAP Coordinator at 240-964-8422.
Program Descriptions by Category
* Community Health Access Program (CHAP)
Program of Allegany Health Right and the Western Maryland Health System that assists uninsured adults, who do not qualify for public programs, get access to primary care, diagnostic services, and other support as needed.
Contact- Allegany Health Right -600 Memorial Dr. Suite 103, Cumberland 301-777-7749
* Maryland Children’s Health Program
A free or low-cost health insurance program for children up to age 19 and pregnant women in families with low to average incomes. Coverage includes in-patient hospital care, doctor’s visits, lab tests, immunizations, and more.
Contact- Allegany County Health Department -12501 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 301-759-5076
* Medical Assistance
Health care and pharmacy support for individuals determined to be financially eligible or medically needy.
Contact- Allegany County Department of Social Services -1 Frederick Street, Cumberland 301-784-7000
Medical Assistance for Families
Contact Allegany County Health Department 301-759-5076
Or call the State for an application 800-456-8900
* Maryland Primary Adult Care (PAC)
Primary health care, certain outpatient mental health services, and prescription drugs for certain low income eligible Maryland residents, 19 years of age or older, not eligible for Medicare, and a US citizen or a qualified alien. Eligibility is determined by the State.
Call for an application. 800-226-2142
* Tri– State Community Health Center
Non-profit community health center providing high quality health care to everyone in the community regardless of their ability to pay. Accepts insurance and offers a sliding fee discount.
Contact-Tri-State Community Health Center – 621 Kelly Road, Cumberland 301-722-3270
* Emergency Dental
Low income adults living in Allegany County needing dental care may be eligible for support and referral to a private dentist.
Contact -Allegany Health Right -600 Memorial Dr. Suite 103, Cumberland 301-777-7749
* Dental Hygiene
Allegany College of Maryland Dental Hygiene students offer teeth cleaning, dental x-rays, fluoride therapy, and recommendations for care. A nominal fee is charged.
Contact– Allegany College of Maryland Dental Hygiene Clinic (Allied Health Building – Room 151) 12401 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 301-784-5250
* Emergency & Short Term Prescription Program
Assistance once a year with emergency prescription needs and short term medications for people waiting for long term coverage. Contact - Associated Charities - 1 Frederick Street, Cumberland 301-784-7053
* Long Term Medication Program
Provides long term prescription medications to residents with no other prescription coverage through pharmaceutical patient assistance programs.
Contact -Associated Charities -1 Frederick Street, Cumberland 301-784-7073
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
* Outpatient Mental Health
Monday-Friday, Daytime – Contacts:
Allegany County Health Department Outpatient Mental Health Center 301-759-5280
Villa Maria of Mountain Maryland 301-777-8685
Western Maryland Health System Outpatient Behavioral Health Services 240-964-8585
Contact WMHS Behavioral Health Services 240-964-1399
Information about Mental Health Resources
Contact Mental Health System’s Office (CSA) 301-759-5070
* Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening
Screening and diagnostic services for breast and cervical cancer (paps and mammograms) are available to low income uninsured and underinsured individuals. Assistance for breast & cervical cancer treatment costs also available. Maryland residents.
Contact - Allegany County Health Department -Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 301-759-5083
* Colorectal Cancer Control Program
Provides free colorectal cancer screening for Allegany County residents age 50 and older who are uninsured or underinsured. Must also meet financial and eligibility requirements.
Contact – Allegany County Health Department-12501 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 301-759-5121
* Other Health Education and Screenings
A variety of health screenings and health education programs are offered in the community to reduce health risks and promote healthier lifestyles. Nominal fees may be charged.
Contact - WMHS Community Health & Wellness Center-12501 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 240-964-8418
* Food Stamps
Provides funds to insure low income individuals enough buying power to meet the federal food cost guidelines.
Contact - Allegany County Department of Social Services -1 Frederick Street, Cumberland 301-784-7000
Provides supplemental food, nutrition education, and breastfeeding support to eligible pregnant and postpartum women, infants and children up to age five. Allegany County residents may call to schedule an appointment.
Contact - Allegany County Health Department- Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 301-759-5020
* Energy Assistance
Year round program that assists with heat and electric bills. Must reapply each year.
Contact – Office of Home Energy Programs (HRDC)-125 Virginia Avenue PO Box 2006, Cumberland 301-777-8550
* WMHS Financial Assistance Program
Through an application process financial assistance is available for hospital bills. Support is provided based on a sliding scale and patients responsible for a percentage of the cost need to make monthly payments.
Contact - WMHS Business Office – 12501 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland 240-964-8435
Resources in Other Counties & States
Garrett County, Maryland
* Health Department 301-334-7770
Grantsville Access 301-895-3111
Dental Health 301-334-7660
Healthy Families & MCHP 301-334-7720
Behavioral Health 301-334-7680
MedBank 301-334-7740 or 301-895-3113
WIC 301-334-7710 or 301-895-3311
* Dept. of Social Services 301-533-3000
* Garrett County Hospital - Caring Program 301-533-4209
Washington County, Maryland
* Health Department 240-313-3200
* WIC 240-313-3335
* Dept. of Social Services 240-420-2100
* MedBank 301-393-3443
* Tri-State Comm. Health Ctr. (Hancock) 301-678-7256
* Community Free Clinic 301-733-9234
* Client Services Hotline 800-642-8589
* Energy Assistance 800-642-8589
* Hampshire County Health Dept. 304-496-9640
* Mineral County Health Dept. 304-788-1321
* Associated Charities - Prescriptions (Mineral Co) 301-784-7073
* Helping Hands, Keyser 304-788-0110
* WV Rx 304-414-5935 or 877-388-9879
* WV Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening 800-642-8522
* WV Health Right (serves most counties) 304-292-8234
* WVU Dental Clinic 304-293-6208
* WV WIC 304-788-1693
* Food Stamps & Medical Assistance 304-788-4150
* Bedford County Board of Assistance 814-623-6127
* Bedford County Health Dept. 814-368-0426
* Hyndman Community Health Center 814-842-3206 (Medical and Dental Care)
* Healthy Woman 800-215-7494
* Adult Basic (similar to Md. PAC) 800-464-5437
* High Risk Insurance for Uninsured 888-767-7015
* Family Planning & Select Plan 800-842-2020
* PA CHIP 800-986-5437
* PA Dept. of Public Welfare / Medical Assistance, Food Stamps… 800-692-7462
* WIC 800-942-9467
* Heating Assistance 866-857-7095
Created by the: Workgroup on Access to Care